2014 Reads.

Reading hasn't been happening much lately. 

I want to.  I just haven't been able to a). find the mood and b). find the time. 

I usually always try to read before bed but have been falling asleep the moment my head hits the pillow at 8:30pm.

Here are a few things I've read so far this year...

The Magician's Nephew 

http://www.amazon.com/Magicians-Nephew-Chronicles-Narnia-ebook/dp/B001I45UF2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396360190&sr=8-1&keywords=the+magicians+nephew


Confession...I have never read the Chronicles of Narnia.  I've had the books for years, but I just cannot get into them.  For some reason, it bugs the heck out of me that these are classics I have never read.  I decided this year to just tackle one at a time every few months or so.  They're short and easy reads. I started January with The Magician's Nephew.  I finished it, but wasn't totally impressed.  I've decided to keep on trucking through them so I can say I've read them. I've yet to pick up the next though.

The Hangman's Daughter



This one got a lot of hype and great reviews, but to be honest, I was a little disappointed in it.  Its was much longer than it needed to be and I personally thought it was anticlimactic for the type of book it was.  It's a series and I've heard the second gets better, but I doubt I'll pick it up. 

Orphan Train



Loved it! It was an interesting read and had good message in the end. It's one of those that everything was tied up in a pretty little bow at the end and let's be honest, sometimes we need those kind of books.  A great vacation read.

Fortune's Children: The fall of the house of Vanderbilt


I picked this one up on our trip to Asheville last year and have been reading this one for months now.  I finally finished it on vacation.  If you're into historical nonfiction, it was a really interesting to learn about the Vanderbilt family. David has been reading it for the last month or so and it's lead to a lot of discussion between he and I.  Plus, it's always fascinating to see how those people lived.

The Signature of All Things


I enjoyed Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love a few years back, but have yet to pick anything else of hers up.  I had heard great things about this one and snatched it up at the library while at story time one day.  This book was interesting to say the least.  It's definitely a different story line and some might not be comfortable reading it, but I loved this book.  It's about 500 pages and I devoured it in two days (we were on vacation, so my children didn't have to be ignored).  The last two pages of the book were so good, I had to read them out loud to David. It's not light reading, but it's definitely worth it. Yes, I even snapped photos of the last two pages since it was a library book.

Love that!

So, read anything good lately?

Comments

Popular Posts