The weekend.

I had these great dreams of posting about our wonderful weekend, but to be honest, it hasn't been the best.

It was a long weekend and not of the good kind.


For whatever reason, they moved the Atlanta NASCAR race to this weekend and David has a store ten minutes from the racetrack, so a majority of his weekend was spent at work.  In years past, it's been a Labor day weekend race, which meant I spent the majority of his working hours by the pool and with family eating hamburgers and hotdogs ("oh, you were working all weekend? I didn't notice while I was cramming in the last bit of tanning I could for the summer.") Race weekend is expected and nothing new (he's pretty much always had a store near the racetrack), but it doesn't make for a fun weekend when you have a teething toddler and your mother-in-law is on call.

Which speaking of...Amelia has a zero pain tolerance.


I'm not even joking.

The kid spent the majority of her first year in pain from severe reflux and her second year in pain from teeth.  I was starting to think maybe she had another ear infection, but on Tuesday, the Doctor confirmed that her ears/throat/nose looked perfect and it was in fact, just teething.  She's been connected at my hip most of the weekend and the only way I could get any clothes washed was with her in the baby backpack.  While carrying a 30lb. toddler all weekend, I've learned that no matter how long I've been training for a 1/2 marathon, I'm out of shape. 

I cannot tell you how happy I will be when Amelia gets over the teething stage.  I think after the two that are currently coming in, we only have the two year molars left (oh, yay!!!).  She won't let me open her mouth long enough to access the situation.


In other news, Olivia took two bad falls over the weekend.  Back in the day, falls like these we wouldn't have thought twice over, but now we have to be extra vigilant over even the smallest fall because she can easily develop an infection due to the chemo and lack of an immune system.  No lie, we have to treat every paper cut like a bullet womb. The chemo that she is on now has left her with no reflexes and extra clumsy (three times as clumsy as a normal five year old), so she falls constantly.  It's just one of those things we took for granted pre-cancer days.  She currently has ten band aides on her body (not an exaggeration at all) and smells like a tube of neosporin.
 

In more happy news, we finally got a couple of nice days and got to spend some time outside.  My kids are so ready for the warmer weather, it's not even funny.  February was rough. Amelia seriously asks to go outside approximately ten minutes after she's woken up every single morning. I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to try to explain to a toddler that she cannot go outside when it's 18 degrees outside.  I don't do that kind of cold. We've never had really nice patio furniture and decided it was time, so we've seriously spent the whole winter stocking up on stuff and it's currently sitting all boxed up in the garage.  I have a sneaky feeling we're going to get our monies worth out of it all this summer.  Thankfully it's going to be in the 60's and 70's all week.  Maybe Spring is finally here???
 

Also, David and I got a much needed date night on Saturday night and we didn't get a single call that anyone needed to go to urgent care or the ER (that was the trend for awhile). We finally made it back to a local Italian place that we haven't been to since before Olivia was born and thankfully, it didn't disappoint (Pasta Max in the square for any locals). We ended our night at Walmart like every other romantic night because we were out of diapers. 
 

The only thing keeping me going at this point and time is the nice weather and our next to last weekly chemo appointment.


By the time you read this, we'll be at clinic for our last sedation chemo for this round.  No matter how many times she's sedated (we're easily up to 20 times by now), it's a little nerve racking.  Please say a prayer for my mini me. Watching her come out of sedation breaks my heart every time.

Here's to a warmer week! : )

Comments

Abby said…
I came across your blog from Nicole at Journey to Josie. Have you tried Hyland's teething tablets? I have an 18 month old and swear by them. When she is teething she is super irritable, so I give her some of the tablets and she goes back to her normal sweet self. Praying for God's strength and grace for you and your family!

Popular Posts